Of course, sunlight gives everything to life on our planet, a person especially needs it. But sunlight is a loose concept, its rays are diverse. The sun's rays, which are very necessary for life and full development, are dangerous, especially for children. The difficult question arises, how to deal with the sun correctly, because children can not live without a street, how can you make sure that the baby receives only the good, avoiding the harmful sun exposure?
Photo gallery: How to sunbathe a child?
This question is especially important when you go on vacation with a child, for example, on the sea, where relaxation without the sun is simply not possible. But do not despair, we all grew up under the same sun, are still alive and healthy to this day, therefore, there is a way out. You just need to follow some rules that will protect the child from evil rays. First you need to understand what is the general use of the sun for children and how it affects the children's body.
What are the benefits and harms of the sun?
Let's start with useful points, the sun's rays are necessary in order for vitamin D to start to be synthesized in the body, this synthesis is due to solar ultraviolet, it is this vitamin that prevents the development of rickets in babies. Perhaps only vitamin D can establish a relationship between the intestines and calcium, so that the latter is absorbed as correctly as possible. Calcium-free children’s body, or rather the skeletal system, is completely weakening, and rickets, contrary to opinions, can even develop in three years, so it is extremely important that calcium be ingested continuously, even after three years.
In addition to strong bones and healthy teeth, calcium is very necessary for the blood to have the right coagulability; children are often cut and scratched in childhood. Among other things, calcium is useful for the digestive system, for the proper functioning of the intestines and stomach.
It is important from childhood to make a gradual adaptation of the child’s body and skin to sunlight. Sunbathing is very necessary and useful for crumbs, but you need to be very careful with ultraviolet dosages, you need to start with the smallest time spent in the sun and then gradually increase the bio-dose. We will talk about the correct training and biodose at the end of the article. You need to know how much the child can be in the sun so that it does not have time to harm the child.
How to be in the sun and how to protect a child
There are some rules, observing that you protect the child and he will enjoy the rest:
- the first and main thing is a hat, and it doesn’t matter how long the baby goes into the sun, even for 10 minutes. Today, the variety of headdresses is huge, you can choose large and comfortable panama hats or caps, and very small ones feel good in scarves,
- it is also worth paying attention to the time of walks, we are talking not only about the duration, but also about choosing the right interval. You should not walk in the midday heat, the best time for a walk with the baby is from morning to 11 hours, and then the day can be spent in the shade, and after 17-18 hours it is still possible to go outside. In the period from 11 o’clock you can be on the street, just pick out a natural shade or canopies for this. If the baby is already more than a year old, then walks can be lunch time, but short,
- It’s still very important to understand how your child’s skin is adapted to the sun. It is worth saying that if a child has excessively white skin, a lot of freckles, green eyes or red hair, then these children are not allowed to sunbathe under the open sun. The fact is that their skin does not sunbathe, but it burns very quickly, children with such skin should not be in the open body for more than 10 minutes, this is their maximum burn threshold. Speaking of clean blondes with green or blue eyes, their burn threshold is higher - up to 20 minutes, but this is also a limiter,
- it happens that you need to move at an inconvenient time, when you’re hot, then you need to wear lightweight cotton clothes and long sleeves on the baby, as hand skin also appetizingly absorbs ultraviolet and burns,
- Do not forget that children, like adults, need eye protection from harmful ultraviolet radiation, no matter what time of day you walk. Many parents buy glasses as an accessory and do not see to it that the children wear them, but this is wrong, the glasses must be of good quality and protect the eyes.
Arriving home, the child also needs to be looked after, it is very important that the baby takes a shower, the water will cool the body, and it’s just a good day after work, and even more so if you were at sea, wash off the salt and sand. Then it is necessary to use the means protecting the skin after sunbathing, therefore after the beach and soul cover the child’s body with such a means, naturally, it should correspond to the skin of the child. Today there are so many different baby creams, soothing milk for skin, etc. In addition, be sure to get panthenol, this is a good tool in case the baby does burn a little.
Do not be lazy and do not neglect such rules, even when the child is once burned and experiences evening and night pain, he may develop an allergy to the sun, in addition, it is dangerous to health.
Choosing a protective cream for a child
- as already mentioned, a sun protection cream is absolutely necessary for a child, whether it be relaxation or everyday life. Children's skin is very quickly exposed to ultraviolet radiation, you should carefully approach the selection of the optimal product, it can be a cream, spray or milk. The level of protection should be at least SPF-30, and better than SPF-30, this will be the ideal protection. The protective equipment should be stored at home or in a first-aid kit, if you are going to rest with your baby,
- in addition to the fact that it must contain the correct level of protection, you should make sure that it is hypoallergenic, it is recommended not to purchase highly aromatic. Also read the annotation so that there are no preservatives or dye. The composition of creams and spray is always written on the label, carefully look at it for parabens and PEG-emulsifiers, also avoid the content of essential and mineral oils,
- if you are thinking about what type of protection you choose, then it is better for specialists to purchase milk or cream, unlike sprays, they contain fat and do not dry the skin. In general, the use of all sun protection products, as a rule, starts from 2-3 years, before you should not disturb the skin of a child with these creams, it is better to walk in the shade until a certain time,
- as for mousses, gels and spray, they have a minus - this is a dry composition, which means that for many types of children's skin they will be harmful,
- It is also worth knowing that the cream is applied not only once a day. After all, after bathing, part of the cream is washed off and washed with a towel, therefore, it needs to be additionally applied. And each time, going out into the street, you need to make sure that the skin of the child is smeared,
- but this cream does not change the conditions of being in the sun, and does not cancel the time interval for sunbathing, it is still the same hours - until 11 am and after 17-18 pm,
- Now many mothers will have a question, but how will this vitamin D be synthesized by the body if the child walks only in the shade, or if the sun is under creamy armor?
Do not worry, everything is worked out perfectly, even a cream that says that it is 100% protective against ultraviolet radiation is not able to do this, in addition, the child is mobile and the cream is quickly worn away, in general, what the child needs is a sunflower.
Solar biodose for a child. You need to understand what it is and what is the right measure. Biodose is an indicator that characterizes how much time the baby received the same ultraviolet until the moment when his skin turned slightly red. One biodose is taken for the measurement point, starting from 1 year old, a child in the sun can be from 1/8 and gradually raise up to 1 biodose.
Sunburn in a small child
Children's skin is less protected than adult skin. Toddlers under three years old are at greater risk of becoming charred than older children. A child can get a sunburn in just 5-10 minutes under the active sun. If the baby's skin is fair, it is even more prone to burning than a swarthy baby.
Symptoms of burning can be seen on the skin of the baby in the evening or even the next day in the morning. At the same time, his skin turns red, and the child becomes very hot, his health condition worsens, there may be an increase in body temperature, areas of the skin that are affected become quite painful. The child is hurt when he touches the bed or skin of another person. The baby is crying, cannot sleep, does not eat. Later, red spots with small pimples appear on the body, but not in all cases.
After 2 days, the child feels better and the wounded skin begins to disappear.
How to help a child who is sunburned in direct sunlight
If the baby received a minor burn, you can help him at home, without going to the doctor for help. But you must know exactly what first aid measures you need to take. Remember that the first thing you need to do is apply a cool compress to the affected area and change it as it warms, while monitoring the baby’s well-being.
There is a very well-known folk remedy, such as applying sour cream or kefir to burns. Coat your baby’s burned skin with these products and they will help cool it.
Cool green tea is also an excellent remedy; they can also treat children's skin.
It has long been known that moisturize, relieve itching and cool the skin of products and herbs such as eucalyptus, chamomile (you can make baths with them or just wipe the body with a decoction), cucumber juice and leaves of white cabbage.
In addition, today there are lots of medicines, ointments and sprays that can be found in pharmacies, but it is important to know if your child is allergic to certain drugs.
If there is an increase in temperature in the baby, it is better to knock it down with paracetamol, it will also help relieve pain and calm the baby.
After the affected baby becomes easier, it is worth continuing to monitor its condition and offer a plentiful drink. However, in the event of a deterioration in well-being, immediately seek qualified help from medical personnel.
The basic rules to remember when taking sunbathing.
- Use a sunscreen during tanning.
- Drink plenty of water.
- When you are sunbathing on your head, you must definitely wear a panama hat or hat, and your eyes should be protected too.
- Do not forget about your lips, use a balm to protect them.
- Moisturizes the skin after exposure to the sun. At home, after a shower, apply a moisturizing soothing cream from the "after tanning" series.
All the pros and cons of tanning:
• Skin during tanning receives the necessary elements
• During sunbathing, a person usually rests, that is, in fact, in order to get a beautiful tan, you just need to do nothing.
• Rest in the sun is an amazing anti-stress agent.
• Because of the sun, our skin ages faster.
• Long exposure to the sun leads to dehydration.
• Risk of sunstroke.
• Cell mutation, risk of skin cancer.
Children and the Sun
- Until the child is three years old, it is generally not recommended that his skin receive a tan.
- Children over three years old can be in the sun, but it is advisable to immediately worry that they wear a panama hat, sunglasses and a shirt, sunscreen should be applied to exposed skin.
- Children should drink plenty of water while in the sun.
- Avoid the sun from 12.00 to 15.00, at this time, solar activity is the highest.
Tan and children. Tanning rules for children.
- For a long time people travel south to heal. But for several years now from the pages of magazines we have been warned that the sun is dangerous to our health. Is this part of an advertising campaign for sunscreens or the result of modern science?
- Indeed, so far, three out of every four inhabitants of Europe are convinced that the sun has a beneficial effect on their well-being, more than half of the respondents consider the sun to be a source of activity, and two-thirds believe that the sun increases the body's resistance to disease. Many say that after sunbathing, their skin is cleansed. Nowadays, alas, this is not so.
- And what is the difference between the sun of the late 90s and the sun in the "old days"?
- Somewhere before the beginning of the 70s, sunbathing was considered an uniquely healthy event, but after the Americans launched their famous Concord into space, the ozone layer of the Earth began to decay. And in our time, solar radiation has become much more intense.
- Therefore, is it equally dangerous for children and adults to roast in the sun?
“Dangerous, but not the same.” Unlike adults, children do not have their own protection from ultraviolet radiation. After all, tanning is nothing but a protective reaction of the body to solar radiation. And where did you see babies covered with even chocolate tan? The thing is that the skin of the child weakly produces the pigment melanin, which gives the color of a tan. Fully this defense mechanism is formed in the body by only three years.
- So, at three years old the child can already be taken to the sea?
- Of course, it is better to relax with a small child in the middle lane, but if you really want to, you can take a baby who is already three years old with you to the sea, but in no case on a week-long trip. If you have already decided to send the child to the sea, then send him no less than a month.
“But in a month, the active sun can harm a child much more than in a week?”
- The fact is that the children's body perceives climate change as extreme stress. Therefore, the first ten days of vacation for your child will go to adaptation. The healing effect of bathing, fresh air, fruit and the sun will begin from the second week of stay at the resort.
“So the sun is still useful?”
- Only on condition that you follow all the rules for sunbathing. In order for your child to come back rested and strengthened, remember: you can only be on the beach until eleven in the morning and after five in the evening, and even at that time you should use sunscreen. Now special creams for children have appeared, but you can also use sunscreens for adults with the maximum degree of protection.
After bathing in the salt sea, the child needs to be washed in fresh water, washed off the salt and wiped dry. Remember: a wet child should not run along the beach. Water droplets and salt crystals act like small lenses that enhance the action of the sun, and this can lead to a severe burn.
And further. In the first ten days, do not try to explore all the local attractions. Remember that your child during this period experiences extreme physical and emotional stress, and do not try to load his impressions right away.
- If the child nevertheless received a sunburn, what should be done?
- When you collect the first-aid kit before leaving, do not forget to put panthenol in it. This is a good anti-burn remedy. But if there is no panthenol, you can use any dairy products: sour milk, kefir or sour cream. But in no case should you smear charred skin with alcohol solutions or oil.
“Another weak spot is the eyes.” Adults can protect them from the bright sun by wearing dark glasses. What about a small child?
- There are dark glasses for kids. Made in the form of funny little animals, such glasses are perceived by the child as a toy, and most likely your baby will not refuse to wear them on the beach. If the child is naughty and flatly refuses glasses, just put on him a panama hat with wide brim. By the way, the panama hat will protect the baby from the sun and hair.
- We always talked about more or less healthy children. And how does the sun affect children with serious skin diseases such as atopic dermatitis and atopic dermatitis, for example?
- The condition of children with neurodermatitis, atopic dermatitis and psoriasis, really improves significantly in the sun. Such children must have at least a month's rest by the sea.
- Can such kids be in the sun not only in the morning and in the evening, but also in the afternoon?
- No. The intense midday sun is bad for everyone. And even for children suffering from such serious skin diseases. Sun exposure in the morning and evening hours is sufficient.
- And what about children with rickets? What is their sun exposure regimen?
- Rickets really heals quite quickly in the sun, but in order to synthesize vitamin D in the body, which is not enough for such children, a biodose of ultraviolet radiation is enough. Biodose is so small that such radiation does not stain the skin with a tan.
- Is it possible to use a sunscreen if the child has one of the above skin diseases?
- Not only possible, but strictly necessary. Sunscreen is not an obstacle to the healing effect of the sun.
- So we come to the question of the mechanism of action of sunscreens.
- To understand how sunscreens work, you need to understand what solar radiation is. Solar radiation we call the combination of ultraviolet radiation, visible light and infrared radiation. Thanks to the latter, we bask in the sun, not freeze. In other words, infrared radiation is solar heat. It is as dangerous as steam from a kettle. In both cases, you can get a thermal burn. But in order to prevent this from happening, it’s enough just not to stick your hands in boiling water and not to sit under the sun 12 hours a day so as not to overheat.
But the ultraviolet radiation, thanks to which we sunbathe, is much more insidious. The spectrum of natural ultraviolet radiation includes UVA and UVB rays.
UVA (range A ultraviolet) is practically harmless; only range B ultraviolet is dangerous if it is overdosed. So sunscreens absorb only UVB rays, which are detrimental to skin cells.
- But after all, the synthesis of vitamin D occurs only under the influence of ultraviolet range B?
- I want to repeat once again that for the synthesis of vitamin D, a biodose of UVB rays is enough, and this is quite a bit. Sunscreen does not prevent the penetration of such a small dose of radiation.
- How to choose the degree of protection?
- The choice depends on the type of skin. In accordance with the innate properties of the skin, it is customary to subdivide people into 6 types. The first, the so-called Celtic type, includes people with very fair skin, often with freckles, blue eyes, blond or red hair. They are practically deprived of the opportunity to sunbathe and instantly burn. Such people need to buy a cream with the highest degree of protection. But blue-eyed and red-haired babies generally better not to be in the open sun, but to sunbathe in the shade. People of the second type are light-skinned Europeans, they easily burn, but with repeated irradiation they can tan weakly. The third type includes those who acquire a tan after two or three sun baths. The fourth type is dark-haired, brown-eyed men and women with dark skin, they rarely burn and they need a minimum level of protection. The fifth type includes Indians and Mexicans, the sixth - American and African blacks and Australians.
Think about what type you and your child belong to, and in accordance with this, develop your individual daily routine on vacation. For example, if you have a swarthy child, it is not necessary to buy him a baby sunscreen with a degree of protection of 35, it is quite possible that a cream with a protection index of 20 is suitable for him. But for a little blond, 20 protection units will not be enough. According to dermatologists, blondes are at risk of skin cancer after 50 thousand hours in the sun, and brunettes after 150 thousand. Remember this, because even 150 thousand hours in the sun is not so much. And if a person crosses this border at the age of 40, then his skin will be like that of a sixty-year-old.
- Tell me, how often do you need to lubricate the baby’s skin with sunscreen during their stay on the beach?
- Sweat is a natural protection against an overdose of ultraviolet rays. It contains urocanic acid, which intensively absorbs UV radiation. Therefore, in the wind and after swimming, the skin becomes especially sensitive. In this regard, it is better to apply the cream after each bath. True, there are creams with the so-called stable filter. Such a cream does not lose its properties even after several baths, but you can read more about this on the packaging of the cream.
- What except cream and panama can serve as protection from the intense sun? Maybe in order to avoid burns, just do not undress the child on the beach?
- In addition to creams, clothes can protect against solar radiation, but not all. Some types of fabrics, in particular synthetic, pass from 20 to 50% of ultraviolet radiation. For example, nylon knitted fabric in white transmits 25% of the radiation incident on it, blue - 13%. But natural tissues allow no more than 1% of radiation to pass through. Therefore, if your child is very sensitive to the sun, you can take a walk with him on the beach, dressing him in loose clothing made from natural material.
- Is it true that taking some medications on the eve of relaxing on the beach can trigger a sunburn?
- Yes, these are sulfonamide drugs (sulfadimezin, sulfadimethoxin). Taking these drugs really increases the sensitivity of the skin to the sun several times.