On the Internet, in traditional books and in any media, you can find a variety of information about the rules for taking antidepressants, their effects. Forums are full of opinions and advice. The topic is not at all new. Why is the proper use of antidepressants remains a stumbling block in the treatment of depression?
What are antidepressants?
Let’s first deal with the concept of antidepressants.
Antidepressants are substances that are used to treat depression. The doctor can prescribe them for other mental disorders, in combination with drugs of different groups. Antidepressants can not only have an antidepressant effect on the body.
Properties and effects of antidepressants.
All antidepressants, depending on the effect, can be divided into three groups:
- Sedative antidepressants. In addition to the direct effect on depressive syndrome, they can help with anxiety, anxiety, and bad sleep. The most famous representative: Amitriptyline. The drug is one hundred years old at lunch, but he is not going to take his positions on the strength of the antidepressant effect. Of the more modern, I can name Mianserin and Buspirone. Doxepin has proven itself very well in my practice.
- Antidepressants stimulating effect. Use in cases of prevalence of lethargy, passivity, depression and indifference. Everything is clear here, I think. I would like to mention one fact. The stimulating effect occurs much earlier than antidepressant. This is not always good. I prescribe drugs of this group usually together with sedatives (sedatives) in small doses. The brightest representative is Escitalopram.
- Antidepressants with a balanced effect. Incorporated the properties of the first and second groups. Representatives of pyrazidol and sertraline.
Rules for taking antidepressants.
Now we can talk about the rules for taking antidepressants.
Prescribing any drug, the doctor will tell the patient how to take it, and specifically answer the following questions: “What?”, “When?”, “How much?”, “How often?”.
Any person who takes antidepressants on his own, or looks after the recipient, must remember and observe the following rules in the strictest order:
- Take antidepressants regularly. Usually, modern drugs are drunk 1-2 times a day. It is better to keep a schedule of intake and drink the medicine daily at the same time. If one dose was missed - the next tablet is taken at the right time. The schedule of admission is not shifted, the doses do not increase on their own.
- Having a weekly supply of medication at home can be a lot of trouble. There is no need to buy 5-10-100 packs of the drug for the future.
- Drink antidepressants with plain water. The use of alcohol during treatment with antidepressants is categorically contraindicated.
- Only the doctor knows when to complete the course of treatment with antidepressants. He will tell you how to properly reduce the dose without harm to health.
- Antidepressants can have side effects, like other medicines, even of herbal origin. There is no need to rush to refuse treatment if side effects occur. Most of them will be in the first week of treatment. If the patient experiences significant discomfort, malaise - this is an occasion to consult a doctor ahead of schedule.
- The choice of an antidepressant, the selection of dosage and duration of treatment is a very complex process. It is impossible to predict an equally positive effect from treatment in two different patients. It is possible that in the course of treatment, it will be necessary to repeatedly change the dose or antidepressant. It is necessary to fully cooperate with the doctor. Mark positive and negative changes in your condition.
- The average course of treatment for depression is about 3-6 months. You need to be prepared for long-term use of drugs.