When a baby appears in the house, mom and dad are ready to fight with a kite in order to ensure that the child is full, warm, safe and comfortable. But the life of a baby does not always seem carefree - colic, constipation, regurgitation, gas - you can’t list everything. One of the unpleasant childhood problems is hiccups.
Hiccups are a reflex contraction of the diaphragm. In fact, hiccups pose no danger. However, the very fact of spontaneous flinching often scares the baby - the child is worried and crying. Often, hiccups do not allow a newborn baby to eat and sleep normally, which leads to additional whims. To get rid of hiccups, you need to understand what this condition can cause.
Why does the baby hiccup
- Swallowing air. The digestive tract of the child in the first months of life is imperfect, this explains various colic and regurgitation. When air enters the baby’s stomach with milk, the body tries to push it out. Thus, hiccups arise. If the air does not come out with an eructation, but enters the intestines, this leads to the formation of gas and colic. Therefore, hiccups are a kind of signal to help the child get rid of excess air in the stomach. Most often, the baby swallows air with improper grip of the chest. Pay attention to feeding the baby. The baby's mouth should completely cover the areola of the chest so that an absolute vacuum is formed. If the baby is artificial, the hole in the nipple may be too big. In this case, the milk pours in a large stream, the child does not have time to swallow it and often releases the nipple, capturing part of the air.
How to get rid of hiccups
Hiccups usually go away on their own within 15-20 minutes. But why wait if you can help your child?
- First you need to eliminate the provoking factor. Check if the baby is lying in wet diapers, whether it is cold. The kid needs to change clothes, put on things warmer.
- If the hiccups are not from the cold, you need to try to help the child burp the air. To do this, swear the baby with a "column", that is, in an upright position. To do this, hold the baby to you and hold its head. With one hand, gently stroke and massage its back to speed up the process of “burping out”.
- Offer your child a breast - this is both calming and quenching thirst.
- You can warm the baby’s tummy with a warm diaper. Heat the diaper with an iron and place it on the baby’s stomach. This is a great way to get rid of hiccups and colic.
- Make a decoction of chamomile. To remove the spasm of the diaphragm, you need to drip a few drops of chamomile decoction to the child under the tongue. This will help get rid of hiccups and soothe the baby.
- Sometimes, in order to save a child from hiccups, it is enough just to distract him. Sing him a song, talk to him. Lingering notes make the baby listen.
- Drink the child with a spoon with clean water. Sometimes it helps to cope with hiccups.
- Another great way to deal with lingering hiccups is a warm bath. Gather water in the bathtub, lower the baby there so that his chest and tummy are immersed in warm water. A light massage and warmth will help relieve spasm of the diaphragm.
These simple rules will help you stop hiccups in the newborn. However, it is not worth worrying in the current situation, the hiccups pass after 15-40 minutes. This is a common occurrence in newborns. However, in order for hiccups to appear as rarely as possible, some preventative measures must be followed.
What to do so that the child does not hiccup
First of all, dress the child according to the weather. It is very important to maintain balance, because overheating is as dangerous for a baby as hypothermia. Touch the limbs of the child - when it is supercooling, its legs, arms, as well as its nose and cheeks will be cold. And if the child is hot - the back and neck sweat first thing - do not allow this.
When feeding, make sure that the baby grips the nipple with the areola well. Feed your baby in a half-sitting position. Feeding a baby lying down often provokes the appearance of hiccups and regurgitation. If the baby is feeding the mixture, you may need to change the bottle's nipple to another, with a smaller hole, so that the child has time to swallow the mixture and not enough air.
Sometimes the cause of frequent hiccups may be a pacifier. The child gets used to it and cannot capture the bite when it grabs the breast. This provokes air into the stomach, which leads to hiccups. Perhaps you should abandon the dummy.
It often happens that the children of "haste" very hungry, eat very quickly, swallowing milk with air. This must not be allowed. Do not wait until the child is very hungry, feed him every 2-3 hours or as required. If the baby is in a hurry to eat, after a minute of feeding, stop eating and hold it with a “column” so that the already received air comes out with a burp. And only after that continue feeding. This will help protect your child not only from hiccups, but also from colic.
If a child's hiccups appear due to fright, try to stabilize the situation in the family. Protect the kid from sharp sounds and light flashes, do not turn on music loudly. Sometimes older brothers and sisters play with a newborn baby and playfully scare him. What may seem like a hobby for an older child is a frightening suspense for a baby. Therefore, it is worth explaining to the older child that the baby has not yet matured to this kind of games.
Hiccups are a normal occurrence for most babies. She does not require treatment and there is no medicine for her. You just need to wait out this difficult period, when the baby's digestive tract is formed and gets stronger. And then nothing can spoil his cheerful, carefree mood.
What is hiccups
Hiccups in newborn babies are a phenomenon that has exactly the same origin as adult hiccups. The attack causes a sharp contraction of the diaphragm - the muscle that separates the chest and abdominal cavities.
Most often, this condition is not a signal of any malaise of the child. However, in some cases, seizures can last an hour or more. Hiccups cause inconvenience even to adults, not to mention newborn babies. Therefore, the main task of parents in such a situation is to deal with the causes of this condition and try to alleviate it.
Types of hiccups in babies
There are only two varieties of hiccups:
Long hiccups are characterized by frequent seizures over a fairly long period of time. Sometimes diaphragm contractions can be so frequent that the baby has problems with the possibility of a full breath. In this case, you need to consult an experienced doctor and as soon as possible. Only a doctor is able to determine the cause of hiccups and help relieve an attack.
Short-term or occasional hiccups in newborns rarely occur and for a short time. Every child and adult experienced such attacks. Typically, this symptom does not indicate a health problem. Like prolonged hiccups, episodic attacks can be caused by a number of reasons.
Causes of Attacks
There are many causes of hiccups in children and adults. Often these are individual characteristics of the body. However, several general phenomena can be identified that can provoke hiccup attacks in newborns:
- Overfeeding the baby. This reason is especially relevant for children who eat mixtures, that is, switched to artificial feeding. If the portion of the mixture is too large, the child’s stomach quickly fills up and stretches, which leads to spasm of the diaphragm.
- Swallowing air while feeding. When feeding a baby, it is necessary to give him the opportunity to burp in order to let out excess air, “swallowed” along with his mother’s milk or mixture. In addition to the possibility of regurgitation, it is necessary to monitor the position of the child during meals. It should be as convenient as possible for the child: there should not be too much head tilting or, conversely, lowering. It is also important to monitor not only the position of the head of the newborn, but also his body as a whole.
- Underdeveloped diaphragm. As a rule, this phenomenon is temporary and is due to the age of the crumbs. Over time, the muscles become slightly stronger and hiccups cease to bother.
- The diet of a nursing mother. All the nutrients necessary for growth and development, the baby receives from mother's milk. There is a group of products that, when consumed by their mother, can cause hiccups in her child. Potentially hazardous foods include nuts, soy, wheat, chocolate, eggs, citrus fruits, coffee, and caffeinated drinks. In order to prevent hiccups after breastfeeding, these foods should be completely stopped or at least 1.5 hours before the feeding session.
- Lowering the body temperature of the child. Babies are especially sensitive to changes in ambient temperature. Their body cannot yet maintain internal temperature as effectively as an adult. Therefore, it is very important that the baby is always in a warm and comfortable environment.
- Allergic reactions. Since the newborn is on natural or artificial feeding, then a food allergy can occur for him only on the components of his food: milk or a mixture. In this case, inflammation of the esophagus occurs. This phenomenon leads to spasm of the diaphragm and hiccups. In addition to food allergies, there may be an increased sensitivity to irritants floating in the air: dust, pungent odors and others. Such allergens cause coughing attacks, which provoke hiccups.
- Reflux. The scientific term for this condition is gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). The essence of the disease is that part of the food enters from the stomach back into the cavity of the esophagus. At the same time, hiccups are not the only symptom of the disease. In babies, capriciousness, frequent regurgitation, a condition similar to colic, crying after eating are added to it.
- Nervous tension. Sometimes the cause of a spasm can be a fright or other nervous breakdown in a child. If there are no other reasons for the appearance of hiccups, then it is worth paying a visit to the pediatrician to accurately determine the causes of anxiety and anxiety of the baby.
A little more about the causes of hiccups and methods for its elimination is described in the video below:
How to help a baby with hiccups
Some methods of dealing with hiccups cannot be applied to newborns. For example, scare or force hold your breath. You can apply one of the following methods to a small child experiencing a hiccup attack. It is important to remember that it is not necessary to apply several techniques at once, it is better to apply one thing. If the attack repeats after waiting a while, try another method.
- Give the baby a chest. Very often this method is the most effective. Having received maternal attention, the child instantly calms down, breathing returns to normal and the spasm passes.
Since hiccups are not inherently a disease, specific measures to prevent them do not exist. There are several recommendations for preventing conditions that may cause diaphragm cramps:
- After eating, hold the baby upright for 15 minutes,
- Allow free burping after feeding. You can help this by gently stroking your back,
- Observe the correct serving size and frequency of feeding, according to the age of the child and the recommendations of the pediatrician,
- A nursing mother should choose and follow a diet that excludes foods that promote the formation of gases and contain large amounts of protein,
- Monitor the temperature of the child and the room in which he is located,
- Keep an eye on the baby’s comfort: clothing should be dry and clean;
- Thoroughly clean the baby’s room so that dust and other irritants do not enter the body,
- To exclude factors that can lead to emotional shock (loud sounds, bright lights, strangers, pets (especially the appearance of a large dog's muzzle in the face of a child), and so on),
- Prevent tobacco smoke from entering the baby’s lungs.
Hiccups are a pretty harmless condition that signals parents about the presence of any problems with the child. Most often, the malfunctions are very minor, however, worsening the quality of life of the crumbs. It is important for mothers and fathers to notice a symptom in time and take measures to eliminate the causes of hiccups. If you can’t cope on your own, do not delay with going to the pediatrician. Continued hiccups can lead to breathing problems, which can be a serious problem. It’s impossible to figure it out without a doctor’s help.
Newborn baby hiccups. This will continue for almost the entire first year of his life - this is a normal physiological state. It is basically safe. Hiccups arise due to the fact that the esophagus and gastrointestinal tract are not yet fully developed. To Hiccups passed in an adult, it is customary to scare him, but do not do this with a baby. The child will not stop hiccuping from this, and fear can only aggravate his condition.
On the other hand, when the baby often hiccups, hiccups bring him discomfort, and this is an abnormal condition. It can be a manifestation of one of the unpleasant diseases.. It is worth paying attention to how the baby behaves.
If he does not respond to hiccups or reacts poorly, then there may be no reason for excitement. When the process is long and painful, the baby hiccups for hours, then it is worth showing it to the doctor.
Why does hiccups arise?
Remember, if the attack lasts 5 or even 10 minutes, then there are no special reasons for parents to worry.. This is normal, especially after eating. Adults also hiccup from time to time, but we don’t immediately run to the doctor, right?
If the hiccups lasted longer than 15 minutes, then carefully assess the condition of the baby. The child is blushing, you see that he is ill? Then this is the reason to go to the doctor. Hiccups occur due to contractions of the diaphragm muscles and often passes by itself. A protracted, painful hiccup is an alarming symptom for a newborn. Something in the body went wrong. Perhaps this is a strong spasm, with which the baby himself can not cope.
It happens that the baby often hiccups when he manifests diseases such as:
- excesses and diseases of the esophagus, individual organs of the digestive tract,
- the presence of problems with the spinal cord, trauma.
These diseases are quite serious.. You can not leave them unattended. The maximum waiting time for parents is 20 minutes. Is the newborn still hiccuping, while becoming irritable, crying, blushing? Then go to the doctor or call an ambulance.
Causes of frequent hiccups in a newborn
Why can a newborn hiccup? The reasons can be very simple, not disturbing. The main thing is to remember that if the attack does not cause discomfort the baby himself, do not focus on this. Many mothers are very worried when they notice a baby hiccups. They seek to help him, although this is not necessary.
The main reasons for NOT dangerous hiccups:
- the baby is frozen, and this is a natural muscle reaction,
- strong fright - bright light, sudden loud sound,
- overeating. The stomach is stretched and gives the child inconvenience. Overfeeding babies is harmful, even if they strongly ask for serving supplements,
- air got into my stomach, but the baby cannot burp it,
- a newborn suffers from bloating, gas.
- intestinal discomfort, pain. Tightens the entire digestive tract and the muscles of the diaphragm,
- respiratory failure. Infants and babies up to 2-3 months are not advised to raise high, as this slows down the normal respiratory rhythm.
All these are temporary causes of hiccups. They are not dangerous, but risk factors must be excluded. If you ignore that the baby constantly has a stomachache, gas, colic, then this can become dangerous for his health.
How to help the baby
A newborn with prolonged hiccups will experience discomfort. Parents should try to relieve the attack. Often this is not so difficult. You need to follow simple rules, and everything will work out.
- Put crumbs on your chest or offer to drink water. Everything is like in adults - after a couple of sips of water, the spasm can go away by itself.
- Touch the arms and legs of the child. If they are cold, then rather warm it. Can put crumbs in a warm bath. This should solve the problem if the whole thing is in the cold.
- Get out of sight unfamiliar items, take the child out of the room with strangers. Hiccups can happen if guests come to you, and the child is scared of new people.
- Loud music, bright lights can also scare. Because of this, the baby often hiccups.
- The baby will hiccup after each feeding - this is normal. Hold it upright, tap on the back a bit. The air will come out, and the fit of hiccups will pass.
- If the child overeats, he will hiccup. His stomach still cannot stretch much without consequences. Take breaks while feeding. Let him rest for 5-10 minutes, and then continue.
Whatever happens, try to use all the methods available to you to help the baby.
When the baby often hiccups in a dream, such situations cause parents much more anxiety. It would seem that he does not eat, nothing bothers him. Why does hiccups happen? In fact, this is due to growth and physical development. The diaphragm may begin to contract involuntarily, and the vocal cords make such a hiccuping sound. It is he who often scares parents.
Such a night attack should stop by itself after 2-5 minutes, maybe a little longer. Then there is no reason to worry. Give the child some water, hold it in your hands. If the baby wakes up, begins to hiccup and cry, and the attack is delayed, it is better to consult a doctor. Perhaps nothing terrible is happening, but a strong attack prevents him from sleeping. This is a bad sign.
Do I need to go to the doctor?
If your child hiccups very often, it is better to see a doctor. This should not happen every day, so consult your pediatrician. Most likely, you will be prescribed a neurological examination. Sometimes this is very helpful, as it helps to identify some deviations in the development or functioning of the central nervous system at an early stage.
If the attack is long, the baby refuses to eat and sleep, then it is absolutely necessary to see a doctor. It will be necessary to find out why this is happening and how dangerous it can be.
Causes of hiccups in children
There is no child who has never had a hiccup. In one way or another, it is inherent in all people, she is harmless, although unpleasant. Most often, hiccups in children can occur under the following circumstances:
- Hiccups can provoke violation of the absorption of food - for example, swallowing too often. In this case, the food gets stuck in the esophagus, causing muscle contractions in the place where the esophagus passes into the stomach. Most often, such a process provokes too dry food,
- Sometimes a hiccup in a child may appear due to body cooling, and especially when drinking cold carbonated drinks,
- Hiccups may occur due to diaphragm nerve irritation. Spasms of an uncontrolled nature are in the nature of a nervous tic. The exact causes have not been established,
- One of the reasons for children's hiccups may be severe excitement or stress, eg, fright,
- Oddly enough, but even long laugh may provoke a decrease in diaphragm in children.
There are also other reasons for the appearance of this unpleasant phenomenon, but they relate more to adults.
In children, hiccups most often pass by itself after a maximum of 20 minutes.
Hiccups in infants
Newborns are most often susceptible to hiccups due to overeating. To get rid of an attack of hiccups in a baby, one of the parents needs to hold the baby in an upright position - until he burps. After you need to give a little drink.
Another cause of hiccups in infants is hypothermia. In order to check if the baby is freezing, it is enough to touch its nose - it should not be cold.
What if hiccups do not go away?
Usually the diaphragm spasm lasts from a few minutes to an hour. Sometimes hiccups can last even longer. Of particular concern for parents should be an attack that lasts more than two days. In this case, it is necessary to examine the child at the doctor.
The most common causes occurrence long hiccups in children:
- Defeat helminths - namely availability parasites is one of the main childhood diseases, a clear symptom of which is hiccups,
- Increased nervous irritability - to diagnose this disease, you need to visit a neurologist,
- Respiratory tract inflammation - it could be tonsillitis, bronchitis or even pneumonia,
- Gastrointestinal diseases — gastritis, peptic ulcer and other pathologies.
Less common in children are the following diseases that cause hiccups - aortic aneurysm, pathologies of the nervous system and diabetes.
Usually drugs do not treat hiccups, the doctor prescribes drugs that relieve the cause of its occurrence. For example, if a doctor diagnosed a child’s increased excitability of the nervous system, he will prescribe antihistamines, such as Promethazine, to reduce the excitability of nerve endings. And if the hiccups are caused by muscle spasms, then No-Shpa will effectively remove the muscle clamp.
If your child is not sick, but hiccups quite often, you can give him chamomile tea - he calms and relaxes the nerves well, and this helps prevent hiccups. It would be nice to pay more attention to the physical education of your offspring, this will help establish control over the muscles of the diaphragm.
The main thing is that you can’t give medicine to children without a doctor’s prescription; it’s better to use our tips on how to save a child from hiccups simply and without problems. Good luck to you!
Attention! The use of any medicines and dietary supplements, as well as the use of any therapeutic methods, is possible only with the permission of a doctor.